Constituency Caseworker – 12 month fixed-term contract to cover maternity leave (15 hours a week)
Location – Leeds with some home working
Salary – in accordance with IPSA scales
You will be working as part of a close-knit team to help ensure the smooth running of Hilary Benn’s constituency office. You will help to manage the large volume of constituency cases and ensure constituents are given a first-rate service on a variety of personal and local issues.
The role will also include some communications work and will require the ability to clip and subtitle videos, update social media and manage Hilary’s website.
This is a 12 month contract to cover maternity leave and is subject to satisfactory completion of a six month probationary period.
- Deal with enquiries from the public by phone, letter, email and in person, taking appropriate action to resolve, document or escalate concerns/enquiries.
- Provide advice and support to constituents on a variety of casework issues including welfare benefits, immigration, health, housing etc., working with government agencies and voluntary sector organisations to resolve matters.
- Manage Hilary’s website, edit and subtitle videos and update social media.
- Respond to all enquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Attend surgeries as required and support community engagement activities (some weekend and evening work may be required).
- Ensure cases are dealt with in a confidential and sensitive manner and ensure records of contact are kept in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Other duties will include drafting letters, maintaining electronic casework systems and undertaking other duties within the constituency office as required.
- Excellent communication skills and a pleasant telephone manner with the confidence to deal effectively with constituents, outside bodies and others.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage a large caseload, working in a professional, caring and sensitive manner including assisting constituents exhibiting challenging behaviour or with mental health issues and reporting urgent cases to the MP as necessary.
- Understanding of immigration and asylum systems, training can be given.
- Excellent ICT skills required including the use of Microsoft Office suite, the ability to manage the website and navigate video editing software, electronic casework system and deal with bulk emails.
- The ability to empathise with constituents and communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, to identify constituents’ issues, investigate and respond appropriately.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Sympathetic to the ideals of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
Closing date – 26th November 2021
Interviews to take place early December
Start date – 4th January 2022
A covering letter outlining the reasons why you believe you are suitable for the position along with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line ‘First Name, Surname, Constituency Caseworker Vacancy’.
Please also include the contact details (including telephone number) of two people, including your current or most recent employer, who can provide a reference. References will not be taken up until after the interview date.